Community Calendar Guidelines
The Smithfield Times online community calendar is intended to help clubs and other non-profit organizations promote their public events in a concise, easy-to-find and easy-to-read format, and to give readers notice of those events.
Following are guidelines for online content:
- Calendar entries are offered to non-profit organization to announce public and special events. Internal activities, including meetings, are more appropriately advertised through club mailings or other methods of notification.
- Entries are edited for space and content.
- The online Calendar will generally include events up to a year in advance to aid in planning.
- If the event has a specific deadline for tickets or other items, please make it clear for the reader.
- Items appropriate for the print version of The Smithfield Times will be placed in the appropriate edition for up to two weeks.
- The Smithfield Times staff reviews and approves each event publsihed on the calendar. Therefore, don't expect your event to be published immediately. We try to publish events as quickly as possible, but we also reserve the right to deny an event to be published.
How to submit an event
It wouldn't be a community calendar without community input. To submit an event online, one must be a subscriber and have a digital account. Non subscribers can still submit events, but must send them directly to the office via:
phone: (757) 357-3288
mail: P.O. Box 366 Smithfield, VA 23431
To submit online: Log into your account and navigate to the community calendar. Then select the "add an event" button at the bottom of the calendar. From there, fill out the new event form thuroughly. Be sure to click the "Calendar" tab next to the "Common" tab and fill what time and date the event occurs. Finally click the green "Save & Close" button to submit.
- Calendar items are, of necessity, brief listings of events. In order to help organizations promote their events more effectively, The Smithfield Times advertising department offers special club rates on display ads, and do attempt to position such ads, when appropriate, alongside the Community Calendar.
- Yard sales. While The Smithfield Times publishes free listings of club yard sales, we encourage organizations to also place inexpensive “Yard Sale” ads in the classified section because people who frequent yard sales look to the classified section each week to plan their Saturdays.
- Inexpensive club ads are also a convenient and effective way to promote a club’s desire for new members, its meeting schedule and appeals to the public for help with various projects.